Because nobody wants oily skin or an empty bank account.
Disclaimer: I am in no frigging way a beauty expert. I actually know sweet f-all when it comes to contouring and winged liner and the importance of having one foundation for when you’re tanned and another for when you’re not. But, I do quite enjoy having clear skin, without having to break the bank to do so.
So alas, here are some beauty hacks that you’ve probably already seen all over Youtube, but these are the things that I live by and that generally keep my skin in pretty good shape (until I go on a junk food bender and then all bets are off). Also, NOTE: Some of the stuff might not work as well for you as it does for me, but it’s cheap and easy to find in your local grocery store/pharmacy/online so you might as well give it a crack if you’re looking for something new to try or freshen up your beauty routine.
This section is going to have a couple more because well, your face gets a lot of attention. I could do a whole post on make up alone (and yes, I am one of those people who have purchased their entire makeup ‘kit’ from Priceline and Target – no regrets either, that shit is good!) so I’ve tried to focus on the products that I use to keep my skin happy (on a budget).
- Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water – I’m not sure if anyone HASN’T heard of this magical concoction yet, but if you haven’t, or if you’ve seen it at Coles and looked at it all skeptically, then do yourself a favour and go grab a bottle – stat! I don’t exactly know how, but the creators use some kind of leaves from an enchanted elm tree and muddle them up to extract this special water (not on the packaging, but could be true) that somehow manages to remove even the TOUGHEST of waterproof mascaras. A bottle of this fab potion will set you back about 12 bucks, and lasts me MONTHS. Granted, I only use it on my eyes, but you seriously only need the tiniest bit on a make up pad and you’re good to go. Panda eyes are officially out of business!
- Cosmetics Plus face wipes – pretty self-explanatory, but I thought I’d give em a mention because you can buy 3 packs for $5 and that alone is just a miracle! They also sell mini packets to shove in your handbag (super handy for spontaneous swims or sleepovers) which is just so practical and organised and I love it because I am neither of those things when it actually counts. Unfortunately, you can only get them in store, but you can find reasonably-priced face wipes just about anywhere now, which is grand because if you buy make up then you need to buy these too. Simple as that.
- St. Ives Naturally Clear Green Tea Scrub – I am actually obsessed with this face scrub. I’ve been using it every night religiously for about 2 years, and it still continues to do the job amazingly. I think this bad boy is around $14 from Coles, and I kind of cringe whenever I have to buy a new one because I am a stingy bitch, but again it lasts you a good 3-4 months (maybe even longer, I’m totally just guessing here) and the ingredients are all nature and it reduces redness, which gets a big tick in my book. Because skin is unpredictable and likes to keep us on our toes, whenever I notice mine going a little dry I use the Invigorating Apricot Scrub as a bit of a face mask. This gives it an extra kick of moisture and it honestly feels smoother the second you’ve washed it off. Winner!
- Aveeno Daily Moisturising Lotion – another little gem that I discovered in the beauty section of my local Woolworths a couple of years ago. I get it for around $8, and you literally only need a blob the size of your pinky fingernail to moisturise your whole face. I like Aveeno as a brand because they use natural ingredients, with oatmeal being one of their regulars, and I dunno, there’s just something nice about knowing that you’re NOT putting something filled with absolute crap on your face every night. This particular style is designed for whole body use, but I mainly just use it on my face each night after a shower so again, a tube lasts FOREVZ. BUT, because I wear glasses, the bridge of my nose can get oily pretty easily, so especially during summer I tend to only moisturise that area every few nights, because I’m sure the sweat is keeping it nice and fresh (ick – haha).
I’m pretty slack when it comes to overall body-skin (is that a term? Ugh, idk) love. I should pay more attention, but I’m lazy and think that it’s an accomplishment if I remember to moisturise my legs after I shave; so here’s a couple of products that I love when I actually use them (haha).
- Dove Summer Glow Body Lotion – As the name suggests, it’s a moisturiser that sets leaving you glowy and looking like you just spent a day at the beach. I love it because it’s not too thick, and if you use it regularly then it doesn’t leave those awkward dark patches on you knees and ankles. I personally use the ‘Fair to Medium’ shade (only on my legs) for the first 2 nights after I’ve shaved, then I get a nice glow going until it’s time to shave again. Be warned, it can stain, so if you’re worried about your white sheets then I’d suggest chucking the aircon and some track pants on. Because it’s better to be safe and bronze-like than bronze-like and having to soak your frigging sheets again.
- Frank Body Scrub – If you have insta then you’ve probably seen SOMEONE post a weird, half-naked selfie with coffee all over their body. Well, don’t be too alarmed, because they were probably using Frank, and their skin probably felt ridiculously frigging good afterwards. Starting from $14.95 a packet, this delicious coffee scrub is great because you only need a small handful to cover your whole body and you feel so darn hydrated and smooth afterwards. I don’t use it anywhere NEAR as much as I should, but just check out #thefrankeffect and you’ll see how many people love it.
- Hello Hair Hydrating Mask – full of yummy smelling oils, this treatment has saved my hair’s butt (? Hm, let’s run with it) on a number of occasions. Because my hair is short now, I can usually get about 6-8 uses out of one packet, but it really just depends on how dry/ratty your hair is feeling as to how much you put in. I like to leave it in mine for at least half an hour before shampooing and conditioning it out, but some gals prefer to leave it for a few hours or even overnight. Again, it’s totally up to you and what you think YOUR hair needs. It’s an absolute must if you bleach your hair, or spend copious amounts of time in the sea and/or chlorine. Each 100g packet costs between $15 and $18 (depending on what type you get) and are sold exclusively online (and also ship to you super darn fast, which is always a plus in my books).
- V05 ‘Smoothly Does It’ Frizz Free Creme – Clocking in at around $7, this cream is does exactly what it says it does. It helps reduce frizziness, which is makes it an absolute essential for me at this time of year, as well as keeping my hair hydrated (I think haha). You can pretty much get it from any major supermarket or chemist, and I’ve found it to be a really nice dupe for some of the more expensive-brand name products.
- Delorenzo Instant Restructurant – I was only introduced to this baby a few months ago (August maybe?) but ever since getting it I have been religiously spraying it in my hair after every wash, as well as chucking it in my bag every time I go for a swim in the ocean, freshwater or chlorine. I think I paid about $25 for the bottle, but it is well worth the initial gasp of “$25 on something that isn’t clothes, shoes or food!” as after washing my hair 3 times a week I still have about a 5th of it left. I should probably explain what it actually does, right? Well it’s a leave in treatment that smells amazing and has a tonne of benefits, and I have actually noticed a big difference in my hair since using it. An absolute must if you get bleach in your hair, or if you want your head to smell delicious and feel fab.
Still reading? Well congrats on making it this far, and I hope you enjoyed reading my rambling on all of my essential beauty/ish products. I’ve only recommended things that I actually use, and use regularly, and (unfortunately) this post is not sponsored and there are no freebies coming my way despite writing such rave reviews.
Until next week,